As a first-time parent, I wanted to give my daughter the best of everything – products that would engage, teach, and inspire. I scoured the market for books that would introduce basic developmental concepts (colors, numbers, object recognition, etc.) But I noticed that there were no books that combined developmental concepts as well as Jewish education. I realized this was a missed opportunity (at best) to help shape how our young, impressionable children learn about and relate to the world.
So, with my academic and professional background in neurodevelopment, experience with writing children’s books, and passion for art and Judaism I got straight to work! And so, HaShem’s Gems books were created – the first board books geared for children 6 months to 6 years old that combine Judaism and intellectual development! But now I need your help to print these books and provide children with the highest intellectual stimulation while imparting beautiful, Jewish messages and education.
Why Hashem’s Gems Books?
Children are spiritual sponges! Add to that the fact that children are reading the same book over and over and over again….everything permeates their neshemas (souls)! As such, we as parents must be conscientious of what we invest time and energy teaching our children. Hashem’s Gems books allow you to provide your child with the highest intellectual stimulation while imparting beautiful, Jewish messages in a kosher and holy medium.
Each page of the HaSHem’s Gems books features bright, captivating images, highlights Jewish objects, and includes rhyming and rhythmic prose to make learning fun and interactive. These books are geared to boost children’s confidence, curiosity, and independence while developing important skills and connection to Judaism from a young age. HaShem’s Gems books promote both intellectual and spiritual development, beautifully intertwined in a format that children will love.
A Little About the Books
My First Colors Through a Jewish Lens opens young children’s eyes to a world of exciting, vibrant colors. Inside, you’ll find:
- Objects from Jewish life arranged from light to dark on each color page, enabling children to experience a lively spectrum of colors.
- Fun, engaging questions to encourage dialogue between parent and child.
- Children learn colors through objects and prose that strengthen their connection to Judaism!
- A Jewish life picture glossary that helps familiarize children with the objects used in daily Jewish life and celebration of holidays.
My First Numbers Through a Jewish Lens teaches numbers through important concepts in Judaism. Inside, you’ll find:
- Engaging pictures of children using different numbers of objects from daily Jewish life.
- Instead of counting arbitrary objects, children learn to count items that have meaning and significance in Judaism associated with that number.
- Fun number matching section to test the child’s skills as well as foster dialogue between parent and child
My First Jewish Holidays Book caters directly to picture-loving young children by building a story in photographs about the Jewish holidays. As they turn each colorful page, children will build their understanding of the cycle of the Jewish year. Inside, you’ll find:
- Bright, captivating images that show what each holiday represents and how it is celebrated.
- Discovery questions that prompt children to engage further with each page.
- Hebrew date of each holiday allowing children to become more accustomed to the Hebrew calendar.
- A picture matching activity where children find the holiday items that go together.
- A detailed glossary of terms used in the book for children and parents to learn together.
The Torah Perspective
From birth to around age six, your child’s mind is like a sponge, absorbing massive amounts of information from their environment. However, the things your child sees and hears are not just stored in memory, but form part of who they are.
Our Torah teaches us that we are highly impacted by our surroundings and by what we see. How much more so for our young, highly impressionable children?
As such, I wanted to create a series of books that promote intellectual development through a Jewish lens. For example, if you’re teaching a child the color red through an apple, why not talk about how we dip the red apple in honey on Rosh Hashanah?
Additionally, children are constantly creating associations that determine emotional memories. If a child sees for example, a Chanukkah object when successfully learning to count, they will form a bond with that object, eventually building a stronger connection to the holiday of Chanukkah.
HaShem’s Gems books synthesize intellectual and spiritual development in a beautiful and engaging format that both children and parents will love! We as Jewish parents want to engage our children’s minds and souls, especially during their most impressionable years.
We are so grateful for everyone’s support to make these books a reality, we have created special worksheet companions for each book for everyone who contributes (included in the package!)! Sample pages:
The books are done! Now I need your help!
The vision for these books are finally a reality and they are ready to print!
I am asking for help for bulk printing and shipping costs. Any additional funds will be spent in the production of new titles. In order to make the books affordable, I need to buy in bulk.
After obtaining many quotes from printing companies in America and abroad, I have secured a reliable printing company that is ready to print these books as soon as I give them the go ahead! BE”H the books will be 19” x19” board books with rounded covers (safe for children) and glossy finishing.
By Helping us YOU Will:
- Receive our amazing books!!
- Help revolutionize how we teach our young, impressionable children about the world.
- Allow us to continue to create more books (which are currently underway!)
- Introduce a new type of book to the market and support our worthy mission.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
I sincerely appreciate everyone’s contribution to help make this project a reality. I’ve received a very enthusiastic response from a number of communities that believe in my vision for these books, and I am so eager and excited to make this publishing entity a reality BE”H. Thank you in advance for your support!
* Special thanks to everyone who helped make these books come as far as they have:
My husband, My parents, and My children who are the inspiration behind all I do.
Dafne Zivan, Chaya Raskin, Susannah Levin, Leah Caras, Chaya-Bracha Rubin, Karen Gordon, Rebitzen Baila Goldstein, Sarah Perron, Ayelet Semel, Jack Kaplowitz, Devorah Leah Mathless
About the Creator
My name is Sarah Maddali and I am a neuroscientist with over 6 years of Biomedical research, an artist, children’s book author, and founder of mamachizuk.com. But, my most cherished role is being a mom! I feel it is a true privilege and pleasure to be able to synthesize my academic and professional background with my hobbies, talents, and passion to create books that foster both spiritual and intellectual development in a beautiful, captivating manner. I use my immense gratitude to HaShem, love of my children, family and Torah as inspiration behind all I do.